It is really not a secret that New York City is one of the most expensive places to live in the entire planet. While the state of New York itself is pretty expensive to live in, the Big Apple is just too much.
There is no place like New York City, that’s a fact. But the truth is that there are lots of places that are just as amazing and far more affordable. Even if you have a good job, you still have to spend a lot of money to live in the city.
- New York City.min.jpg
- Saratoga Springs.min.jpg
- Moving truck.min.jpg
- Moving broker.min.jpg
- DIY moving truck.min.jpg
- Moving container.min.jpg
- Manhattan, New York City.min.jpg
- Saratoga Spa State Park.min.jpg
- Roosevelt Island.min.jpg
- Moving with pets.min.jpg
- Moving with kids.min.jpg
Hence why lots of people are moving to Upstate New York, where things are less expensive. One of the most popular destinations in the state is the city of Saratoga Springs. The population of this city doesn’t even represent 1% of NYC’s population, which is definitely a plus.
- For a few years now, thousands of people have been moving out of New York City due to the exorbitant costs of living in the city.
- Manhattan Skyline during the afternoon.
A positive aspect of this relocation is that the distance between New York City and Saratoga Springs is approximately 187 miles. This means that you’ll get to live in a better city while being less than 4 hours away from the Big Apple!
If you’re considering moving to Saratoga Springs, you’re probably wondering what is the best way to make this move. In this article, we’ll tell you everything you need to know about moving from New York City, NY to Saratoga Springs, NY.
Why Do People Relocate From New York City, NY to Saratoga Springs, NY?
Between July 2020 and July 2021, the city of New York lost way over 300,000 people. These people moved out of the Big Apple for lots of different reasons, but affordability was definitely the top reason for most of them.
Let’s say that you have the option of living in a city where you will spend much less money and get to have a better quality of life. In this case, why would you choose to stay in New York City?
- Saratoga Springs is way smaller than New York City, but it is a great destination for those who are looking for a beautiful and quiet place.
- The fountain Saratoga Springs.
Getting used to living in a small city after you’ve spent years in the Big Apple won’t be easy at first — but you’ll definitely be thankful for this decision in the long run. Here are some of the reasons why people move from New York City to Saratoga Springs:
- Job opportunities:
- Every person in New York City has a dream of making it big. Unfortunately, this means that there are fewer and fewer job opportunities for those who live in the Big Apple.
- Tourists everywhere:
- New York City is the kind of place that most people want to visit someday. Hence why the city welcomes over 60 million tourists every year. The fact that residents have to share the city with so many people drives lots of people out of the city.
- Starting a family:
- Housing in New York City is extremely expensive. Even the smallest of apartments will cost you a fortune, and you definitely don’t want to raise a kid in a shoebox. Those who want to start a family are leaving the city without a second thought!
What Type of Mover Should I Hire to Relocate from New York City, NY to Saratoga Springs, NY?
Most people probably don’t know this, but there are lots of different types of movers out there. Considering that you have thousands of moving companies to choose from, it’s not hard to guess why these companies are always branching out.
- There are different types of movers that you can hire. If you don’t know which movers can assist you, you might end up hiring the wrong mover.
- A small-sized moving truck on the road.
Before you hire a mover, one of the first things you have to do is take a moment to learn about the different types of movers. If you do this, you’ll avoid hiring a moving company that doesn’t offer the services you need.
Here are 3 types of movers that can help relocate from New York City to Saratoga Springs.
When you are moving between cities that are located within the same state, you need to hire a local mover. These companies are specialists in helping families and individuals relocate between distances that aren’t that long.
Technically, you should be able to hire a local mover to relocate from New York City to Saratoga Springs. However, the distance between these two cities may be an obstacle for some local movers.
In case your local mover tells you that they can’t help you relocate to Saratoga Springs, your next best option is to hire a long-distance mover. When you hire a long-distance moving company to relocate from New York City to Saratoga Springs, distance will certainly not be a problem.
Long-distance movers can help you relocate anywhere that is over 100 miles away. The only thing you should worry about is that these companies usually charge by the hour and miles traveled, so you might have to pay slightly more.
Another type of moving company that is really helpful is a cross-country mover. These movers are the ultimate authority when it comes to relocating across the country. They have highly trained staff and all the equipment and machinery necessary.
If you were moving from New York City to Los Angeles, for instance, you’d definitely need to hire a cross-country mover. But you’re moving to Upstate New York, so you’ll only need a long-distance mover for this relocation.
Should I Hire a Moving Broker to Relocate from New York City, NY to Saratoga Springs, NY?
Finding the right moving company is not exactly easy — especially not in a big city like New York City. There are lots of companies to choose from, and lots of things to consider. If you don’t do your research, you may end up hiring a moving company that will cause problems instead of being helpful.
- Because there are so many moving companies available for hire, the process of finding the right one can be overwhelming. Luckily, you can always hire a moving broker.
- A moving broker helping a client find a mover.
In case you still don’t feel confident enough by the end of this article, you can always seek professional help to find a mover. Moving brokers are the specialists you’ll need for this. A moving broker can help connect you with a moving company that fits your budget and needs.
The only downside of hiring these professionals is that you will have to pay for their services — in addition to paying the moving company.
How Much Does It Cost to Move From New York City, NY to Saratoga Springs, NY?
Money is one of the biggest concerns of those who are thinking of relocating. The entire process of moving from one place to another can be pretty expensive, so these concerns are certainly validated.
- Lots of people don’t know that they have different options other than hiring a full-service mover. Below, we’ll go over some of these moving options.
- A DIY moving truck parked outside an apartment building.
However, if you choose the right type of moving, you may save some money by the end of your relocation process. Contrary to what lots of people think, you don’t always have to hire a traditional moving company.
Below, we’ll go over some of the moving options that you have. On top of that, we’ll show you how much it costs to move from New York City to Saratoga Springs.
Hiring a full-service moving company
When you think of moving, you probably picture a moving company with a bunch of guys moving your stuff around. Well, you’re thinking of a full-service mover. These companies offer a wide range of moving services, most of which you will probably need.
If you have a comfortable budget and you really don’t want to have to do a lot of work during the moving process, your best option is to hire a full-service moving company. They will do all the hard work — from packing to moving your furniture out of the house or apartment.
Here are the estimated moving costs of hiring a full-service moving company to relocate from New York City, NY to Saratoga Springs, NY.
- Studio/1 Bedroom: $960 – $1601
- 2-3 Bedrooms: $2385 – $3976
- 4+ Bedrooms: $3098 – $5163
- Office-Commercial Moving: $2518 – $3129
Renting a DIY moving truck
In case your budget doesn’t allow you to hire a full-service mover, you can always go for a self-move. That is, you can rent a DIY moving truck to relocate from New York City to Saratoga Springs.
When you rent a moving truck, you have to be aware that all the hard work is your responsibility. You’ll have to go through hours of packing and you’ll have to move all your stuff into the truck.
However, you’ll have more freedom to guide your moving process. On top of that, another advantage of renting a DIY moving truck is that you can make sure all your items are properly stored and transported.
We have to warn you that there are some extra expenses when you choose this type of relocation. You’ll have to pay the truck rental, and you will also have to pay for any repairs in case the truck breaks down on the way to Saratoga Springs.
Additionally, you’ll be responsible for paying for gas. And you will probably have to pay for moving insurance as well.
Here are the estimated moving costs of renting a DIY moving truck to relocate from New York City, NY to Saratoga Springs, NY. Note that these estimates don’t include additional expenses (gas, repairs, insurance, et cetera).
- Studio/1 Bedroom: starting at $335
- 2-3 Bedrooms: starting at $419
- 4+ Bedrooms: starting at $628
- Office-Commercial Moving: starting at $795
Renting a moving container
The other type of relocation we want to tell you about is renting a moving container. This is the type of moving that has the best of both worlds. When you rent a moving container to relocate from New York City to Saratoga Springs, you will spend less money than you would if you rented a moving truck.
- If you want to enjoy the best of both worlds, you can always rent a moving container. This way, you won’t spend as much as you would on hiring a full-service mover and you won’t have to worry as much as if you rented a DIY moving truck.
- A moving container with an open door.
On top of that, you don’t have to worry about driving a truck all the way from NYC to Saratoga Springs. You will only have to pack your stuff and load it into the container. After you’re done with that, the moving company will send a team to pick up the container and drive it to your new address.
Here are the estimated moving costs of renting a moving container to relocate from New York City, NY to Saratoga Springs, NY.
- Studio/1 Bedroom: starting at $246
- 2-3 Bedrooms: starting at $491
- 4+ Bedrooms: starting at $736
- Office-Commercial Moving: starting at $981
Best Moving Companies to Help Relocate from New York City, NY to Saratoga Springs, NY
There are lots of moving companies that you can hire in New York City. This is not surprising, considering that the Big Apple has a bit of everything you can think of. While this is a great thing, the not-so-great part is that you’ll have hundreds of companies to choose from.
Before you hire a mover in NYC, you have to check their credentials on the different business review platforms. Is the mover top-rated? What do their clients have to say about their services? Are they responsive? These are just a few of the questions to ask when hiring a moving company.
To help you get a headstart, here are 3 top-rated moving companies to relocate from New York City to Saratoga Springs:
One of the most popular moving companies in New York City, Roadway Moving helps people relocate to and from a lot of different locations. Whether you’re moving to Florida or you’re just moving to Upstate New York, you can count on them.
While this company doesn’t have a flat rate, it was founded by NYC natives, which means that you will be trusting your belongings with people who actually know the area. They offer most moving services, and you can also hire Roadway Black, which is a VIP plan they offer.
Piece of Cake Moving
Another top-rated moving company to relocate from New York City to Saratoga Springs is Piece of Cake Moving. This company has been operating all over the state of New York since 2017 but the clients already love them.
If you need storage services, packing services, last-minute moving services, or commercial moving services, you can hire Piece of Cake Moving. They can help you with all the basic moving stuff, as well as the more complicated stuff.
Rabbit Movers is an up-and-coming moving company in New York City that hires struggling artists to work as movers. But don’t worry — all the artists working under this company are highly trained and will take good care of your belongings.
On top of having an extremely creative moving staff — they’re all actors, musicians, writers, and other types of artists —, Rabbit Movers also offers stellar service. They’re a top-rated moving company in NYC and can help you with packing, moving, and storing. They also offer free moving costs estimates.
What Are The Benefits of Moving From New York City, NY to Saratoga Springs, NY?
Lots of people relocate due to professional reasons. For these people, it doesn’t really make sense to read the pros and cons of moving to a specific place. If the job promotion is good enough, they will move either way.
- In case you still need some convincing in order to move from New York City to Saratoga Springs, check out our list of pros and cons.
- An aerial view of Lower Manhattan.
Others relocate in order to stay close to their family or they’re moving because of COVID-19, so they don’t really come up with a list of pros and cons of relocating. But if you are considering moving from New York City to Saratoga Springs because of any other reason, you have to do that.
It’s important to consider all the advantages and disadvantages of relocating, especially if you want to avoid regretting your decision later on. To help you decide if you should move, here are the top benefits of moving from New York City NY to Saratoga Springs NY.
Pros of Moving from New York City NY to Saratoga Springs NY
- You will have a peaceful life.
- New York City is one of the most populated cities in the world. As such, there is one thing that New Yorkers don’t really know — and that thing is silence. Moving to Saratoga Springs NY will allow you to leave behind that stressful NYC life and live a peaceful and quiet life.
- You will live in a safe city.
- The greater the population in a city, the higher the crime rates. If you want to live in a place where you don’t have to worry about criminality, Saratoga Springs is the place for you.
- You will be just a few hours away from the city.
- Giving up on the New York City lifestyle is not easy at all, but you don’t have to worry about that entirely. Once you move to Saratoga Springs NY, you will get to live an amazing life and still be able to visit NYC when you miss the big city!
Cons of Moving from New York City, NY to Saratoga Springs, NY
- You won’t have as many things to do.
- New York City has a little bit of everything. If you want to eat any kind of food, you’ll likely find a restaurant that sells that food. Unfortunately, we can’t say the same for Saratoga Springs. You won’t have as many dining or entertainment options as you’re probably used to.
- You won’t find the affordable housing you’re dreaming of.
- Housing in NYC is extremely expensive, and the rest of the state is not very different. Housing in Saratoga Springs is more expensive than in the average city, but it’s still more affordable than in NYC.
- You won’t find friends as easily.
- There is a reason why New York City is known as the “melting pot”. The population in this city is completely diverse and it’s not hard to find your tribe. In Saratoga Springs NY, on the other hand, it might be slightly harder to make new friends.
5 Fun Facts About Saratoga Springs, NY!
Before you make the decision of moving to a new place, it’s really important that you get to know the place where you’re moving to. If you do your research right, you’ll learn a lot about the other city, thus you’ll be able to make your decision based on different factors.
- Saratoga Springs might look like just another small city in Upstate New York, but you’ll be surprised to learn that there are quite a few interesting things about the “Spa City”.
- A sunny day in Saratoga Spa State Park.
Saratoga Springs NY is an incredible city, and not only for the reasons that we have already mentioned earlier in this guide. The “Spa City” has a rich history and lots of interesting facts about its existence.
Here are 5 fun facts about Saratoga Springs, NY!
- Lots of natural springs.
- Saratoga Springs didn’t earn its name for a random reason. It is home to more than 20 natural springs with healing powers, which is why the city also earned the nickname “Spa City”.
- Birthplace of a tasty sandwich.
- According to the city’s official website, the club sandwich was invented in Saratoga Springs back in the late 1800s. Rumor has it that the sandwich was created at The Saratoga Club, hence the name.
- Disney’s version.
- Saratoga Springs is a lovely and elegant city and people fall in love with the city really easily. For those who can’t visit the actual city, they can always stop by Florida and visit Disney’s Saratoga Springs resort, which is inspired by the real city.
- Saratoga Race Course.
- On top of attracting visitors and residents for its beauty, Saratoga Springs also attracts a lot of horse racing aficionados. The city is home to the Saratoga Race Course, which is one of the most popular horse racing tracks in the country.
- Saratoga and Vichy.
- Another fun fact about Saratoga Springs is that it has a sister city in France. Saratoga and Vichy are similar in the sense that they’re both home to natural healing springs, so they became official sister cities.
Comparison: Price of Living in New York City, NY vs. Price of Living in Saratoga Springs, NY
We know that we have been talking about the fact that living in Saratoga Springs is more affordable than living in New York City. However, we haven’t actually shown you just how much more affordable the “Spa City” is.
It’s not a secret that New York City is one of the most expensive cities to live in, but you have to keep in mind that living in the state of New York is expensive overall. Regardless of those two facts, you can rest assured that you will be saving money by relocating.
Here is a table illustrating the comparison between costs of living in New York City NY and Saratoga Springs NY.
|NEW YORK CITY
All estimates presented in the table above were calculated considering the expenses of a family of two adults and two children. The data was retrieved from the Economic Policy Institute’s Family Budget Calculator.
In the end, is Moving from New York City, NY to Saratoga Springs, NY Worth It?
Ultimately, each person has their own definition of what makes a city a good place to live. If you are into a busy lifestyle and want to have plenty of leisure options, you definitely should not move to Saratoga Springs. In these aspects, the city is nothing like the Big Apple.
Now, if your definition of a “great place to live” is more inclined toward the financial aspects of things, you won’t have a hard time deciding. As we have just shown you, Saratoga Springs is more affordable to live in than New York City.
- New York City is a great place to live in, but everyone needs a change sometimes. Before you make any decisions, try to consider all the pros and cons of moving from New York City to Saratoga Springs.
- A spring time in New York City.
The “Spa City” will allow you to have a more quiet, safe, and affordable lifestyle. The education system in Saratoga County is also pretty good, which is definitely an important thing to consider when moving with kids. On the other hand, it might be harder for you to adapt to the small city lifestyle.
If money is a decisive factor for you, moving to Saratoga Springs NY is worth it. If not, you are better off taking a little more time to decide.
How to Move from New York City, NY to Saratoga Springs, NY?
No matter where you are moving from and to — moving is a process that requires meticulous planning. We know that lots of people don’t like to bother with planning, but trust us when we say that planning is essential to relocation.
If you don’t plan your moving process, you’ll certainly regret that decision once things start happening in a way you didn’t expect. If you need guidance, we are here to help. If you follow our tips for moving, you’ll get to enjoy a successful move.
- Instead of hiring the first mover that you find, you have to plan ahead. Compare different movers before you make a decision. And read our tips for moving in 2022.
- A kitty inside a moving box.
Here are 9 tips on how to move from New York City NY to Saratoga Springs NY.
- Plan Ahead
- As we just mentioned, planning ahead of moving is essential. You don’t even have to spend days or weeks planning. Just set aside a couple of hours and come up with a simple yet comprehensive moving plan. You can even use our downloadable moving checklist for guidance.
- Most moving companies will charge you for the items you’re moving. This means that, the more stuff you’re carrying, the more you will pay. Hence why one of the most valuable tips we can give you is to downsize and get rid of anything you don’t really need or can easily replace.
- Get Moving Quotes
- Another way to save money is to get moving quotes from different companies. When you get quotes from multiple movers, you will be able to compare their rates and determine which moving company is ideal for your budget. You can use our free moving costs calculator to get moving quotes.
- Book Movers
- Once you have found a moving company whose rates fit your budget and that offers all the moving services you need, it’s time to book a mover. Doing this some time in advance is probably the best thing you can do.
- Visit Your New Area
- In case you still have doubts regarding your move to Saratoga Springs, you can always drive Upstate during the weekend. This way, you can see the city and see if it matches your vibe.
- Start Packing
- Once you have made a final decision and found a moving company, it’s time to start packing. Most moving companies will do this for you (for a price, obviously) but you can also do it yourself. We can help you pack like a pro, so don’t be scared if you’ve never relocated before.
- Create an Essentials Box
- When all your stuff is packed and your apartment/house is empty, it’s time to drive all the way to Saratoga Springs. This journey may only be a 4-hour drive, but you should still create an Essentials box. In this box, you’ll put all the items you want to have easy access to on the road and also when you get to your new home.
- Say Farewells
- You probably have a lot of friends and acquaintances in New York City. While you’re not moving all the way across the country, you’ll still be a relatively long drive away from them. Hence why you should set some time aside to say your farewells.
- Get Some Rest
- Moving can be pretty stressful, even if you do a lot of planning. Life is unpredictable so you never know when things are going to go wrong. By the end of the moving process, you’ll be exhausted. This is your reminder that you need to get some rest!
- Enjoy the Move
- Leaving New York City behind is not an easy thing to do, and it takes a lot of courage to do that. Still, moving away from the big city doesn’t mean that your life won’t be just as fun and magical as it is in NYC. Try to enjoy the move — you’ll be really in Saratoga Springs!
Moving Services to Help You Relocate from New York City, NY to Saratoga Springs, NY
If you visit any moving company’s website, you’ll see that movers offer a wide range of services. Whether you need to ship a car to your new address or if you need the good ol’ furniture transportation services, you can rest assured that you will find the right mover for that.
- Before you hire a moving company, it’s important that you learn about the different moving services you can hire. This way, you’ll make sure you’re hiring a mover that can really assist you.
- A mother and her two kids organizing their belongings to relocate.
The only problem is that, if you don’t know exactly which types of moving services you can and should hire, you will feel really overwhelmed throughout the whole process. In order to avoid hiring a mover that doesn’t have what you need, you can read the list below.
Below, we’ll present 9 moving services to help relocate from New York City NY to Saratoga Springs NY.
- Furniture Transportation
- If you moved apartments before, you know exactly how furniture transportation goes. It’s not an easy process but, luckily, there are lots of moving companies that can help with that.
- Residential Movers
- Are you moving out of a house? Or are you moving from an apartment? Either way, you will need to hire a residential mover to relocate to Saratoga Springs. These are the professionals that can assist you in moving from home to home.
- Piano Transportation
- If you play the piano (or if you have a decorative piano at home), you know just how much space this instrument takes. On top of that, it’s not easy to get a piano out of an apartment. If you want to move a piano from New York City to Saratoga Springs, you need a piano mover.
- Art and Antiques Movers
- Do you collect art pieces and antiques? In this case, one of your biggest concerns is related to how you’re going to transport these fragile items without ruining them. Well, the good news is that there are lots of moving companies that can safely relocate art and antiques from New York City to Saratoga Springs.
- Hot Tub Movers
- Owning a hot tub is like a dream come true. It’s just great to come home after a hard day’s work and relax in the hot tub. And don’t worry about the day you relocate. You can easily move a hot tub from New York City to Saratoga Springs.
- Pool Table Movers
- Most apartments in New York City don’t have enough space to fit a pool table. But if you’re one of the lucky people who get to own their own pool tables in NYC, you’re probably wondering if you can move a pool table to Saratoga Springs. Well, you can — you just need the right mover.
- Office Movers
- In case you are also moving a business from New York City to Saratoga Springs, you can easily deal with the logistics by hiring an office mover. These are the professionals that will help you relocate an office to Saratoga Springs.
- Long-Distance Movers
- As we mentioned earlier in this guide, there are different types of movers you can hire. If you were moving from Brooklyn to Queens, for instance, you’d need a local mover. But you’re moving from New York City to Saratoga Springs, so you’ll need to hire a long-distance mover instead.
- Last-Minute Movers
If you do everything as we suggested, you will likely hire a moving company at least a month prior to the moving date. However, you can never know when something’s going to come up. In case your plans change and you need to move next week, you will need to hire a last-minute mover to relocate from New York City to Saratoga Springs NY.