If you need to move long-distance, it’s important to look for moving companies that specialize in long-distance moving. Find a moving company that you can trust. They will be moving your most valuable possessions. As a result, trust is an important factor.
Look for a company that has a good reputation in the industry or one that specializes and is registered and compliant for long-distance moving. The process starts by finding professional movers with a proven track record. A company that has been around for many years, must be doing something right.
- Choosing the right professional movers can make your relocation a breeze.
- Several movers loading a large wooden frame into a moving truck, which is parked on the street.
What to look for in a long-distance company?
Another option when moving cross-country is considering brokers vs movers. The broker won’t physically move your items, but they will help you find a reputable moving company based on your specific requirements
By hiring a company that specializes in moving long distances they have all the skills, tools, and equipment needed to handle the move.
The company you select should:
- Have a good reputation. It’s even better if you know someone that has used their services before.
- Have good online reviews and testimonials.
- Have a successful track record.
- Make sure their licensing and insurance is up to date.
- Know exactly what the insurance package covers.
- Find out if they move special items and bulky furniture.
If you’re having trouble finding a moving company you can trust, you could always hire a broker. Weigh the pros and cons of brokers vs movers. It’s important to note that a broker is a company that will help you find a reputable moving company. They will use their connections to get you a good deal and book your move on your behalf.
They do not physically move your items for you. Think of a broker like they are the middle man. They will coordinate your move and take on the stress of the moving process. By using a broker, you can save money as moving companies bid for the job.
The company that has the most reasonable rates will usually be awarded the contract.
- Choosing the right moving truck size can save on moving costs and the easiest way to determine the right size vehicle is by getting several moving estimations.
- A large, white moving truck traveling on a road.
When selecting a moving company, there are many factors to take into consideration. Most companies allow you to customize your service package. The company you chose should offer different types of moving insurances.
Moving costs should be discussed before the time so there are no hidden surprises on the big day.
If you have special items to move you may want to hire a company that specializes in moving furniture that requires specialized moving skills and equipment.
Many companies offer affordable moving prices for senior moving. They take into account that an older person may have a limited budget and they work around this fact. Ask the company if they offer special discounts for seniors.
Make sure the company complies with all the restrictions that moving during COVID-19 brings. Ask about the restrictions and what the limitations are. Most companies will provide their own hand sanitizer and masks, but it’s always a good idea to have a few extra on hand. Encourage regular hand washing and ensure that everyone wears a mask at all times.
Our Top Picks
- Best for budget moving: Atlas Van Lines
- Best for customer service: Allied Van Lines
- Best overall: Mayflower
- Best for insurance: United Van Lines
- Providing discounts: Bekins Moving
Atlas Van Lines
Atlas Van Lines has been in the moving business for many years. They have over 430 agents throughout Canada and the USA. To give customers more value for money they have teamed up with the AAA. There are several different packing packages available.
They will take care of your every need, from packing to unpacking, transport, and everything in between.
- Available nationwide with over 430 locations.
- They have a Mobile App for added convenience.
- If you’re an AAA member you will receive additional benefits.
- The process to request a quote can be tricky.
- They don’t insure your items.
If you have problems using the mobile app, contact customer support. They are always ready to help.
Cost of moving service
- The cost is reasonable. There are packages available to suit every budget.
Why we recommend Atlas Van Lines
- They treat each move as if they are transporting their goods.
- The staff are friendly, polite, and helpful.
- The movers are very careful and skilled at making sure your items are not damaged in transit.
If you’re looking for a full-service moving company, Mayflower has you covered. They believe in the personal touch and will come to your home to perform an in-home inspection. Once this is done you will receive a quote.
There are many cost added extras that you can add to your package such as, house cleaning, transporting vehicles, and even furniture assembly at your final destination.
- Available nationwide
- Offers full-service moving
- Create your own moving package
- Added extra services
- They refuse to quote without performing an in-house inspection.
Cost of moving service
- Customize your moving package to suit your budget.
- Add additional services as requires.
Why we recommend Mayflower
- We love the fact you’re completely in control of your packing package.
- Adding services such as house cleaning adds to ease of use.
- Budget-friendly options.
- Movers handle packages with care.
Allied Van Lines
This company does it all in one. They specialize in helping you move long-distance or even internationally. Moving is their business, so they will take care of all the red tape on your behalf. There is no need to stress or lift a finger. They offer full-service packages that include packing, tracking, and unpacking.
- Can track your items online from any Smartphone or laptop.
- Wide range of packages available.
- Apply for a quote online.
- They don’t offer a 24/7 claims number.
- The costs are high for those moving locally.
Cost of moving service
- Moving locally can be costly.
- Different packages available to suit your budget.
- Skilled at moving households internationally.
Why we recommend Allied Van Lines
- Smooth stress-free moving.
- Customize your quotes.
- Quotes can be requested online.
- Recommended when moving with kids.
- Office moving relocation packages.
United Van Lines
They offer full-service moving services for both residential and corporate clients. If you need to move long distance or internationally, they are the company to trust. You can request a quote online but the final quote will only be given after they perform an in-house inspection.
- Upfront costing and no hidden fees.
- Track your packages online.
- Excellent insurance packages available.
- More costly than many competitors.
Cost of moving service
- A bit more expensive than competitors
- Have different packages available
- Specializes in moving bulky items
- Expert at moving piano/hot tubs/pool tables and artwork
Why we recommend United Van Lines
- The higher cost is balanced by the excellent insurance they offer.
- Offer specialized moving services including moving hot tubs and unusual items.
- Caring and professional.
Most of the reviews on this company are five-star and it’s easy to see why. They offer a free estimate on their website that allows you to price your move before applying for a quote. There are packages available for both commercial and residential clients. Call them to receive a quote regarding office moving.
If you plan on moving internationally, they offer packages to make the move run as smoothly as possible.
- Relocation packages available to suit your budget.
- Full replacement value protection on your items in transit.
- Long and short-term storage options.
- Estimate tool available on the website.
- Pricing can be a bit high for certain services.
Cost of moving service
- The cost is higher than most competitors.
- Use the estimation tool to get an idea of the cost involved.
Why we recommend Bekins Moving
- They pack like a pro and will handle every aspect of the move
- They are excellent apartment movers
- The estimation tool is easy to use and lets you know what to expect when it comes to moving costs.
- Friendly, efficient service.
Compare 5 Best Moving Companies
|OFFERS MOVING INSURANCE||LOCAL AND LONG-DISTANCE MOVING||OFFERS AUTO-SHIPPING/TRANSPORT|
|ATLAS VAN LINES||NO||YES||NO|
|ALLIED VAN LINES||YES||YES||YES|
|UNITED VAN LINES||YES||YES||YES|
Atlas Van Lines is the only company that doesn’t offer insurance or auto transport. For a full-service moving package, you can contact Allied van lines, United van lines, or Berkins Moving. You can’t go wrong using any of these companies for local moving. If you’re moving long-distance, Bekins offers auto-shipping.
- Offers insurance
- Local and long-distance moving
- Offers auto-shipping
5 Guidelines to Find Reputable Moving Company
- Planning is crucial to ensure your relocation is successful and as stress-free as possible. Moving checklists are the best way to stay ahead in the moving game.
- A laptop, cellphone, notepad, and pen on a table.
Moving during these stressful COVID-19 times has also increased the risks involved. It’s now more vital than ever to select the correct company to help you relocate.
1. Ask Everyone for Recommendations
Have any of your friends or family members moved recently? Were they satisfied with the level of service they received? The best way to find a company is via word-of-mouth.
There are a lot of moving scams, especially online, so make sure the company is legitimate before paying a deposit.
2. Screen the Potential Company
Make sure to search for the company online and perform a screening process on each one. A few simple clicks will help you perform a background check on the company. A quick Google search will give you all the information that you need.
3. Ask for an In-Home Estimation
Performing an in-house inspection will allow you to receive an accurate costing estimate. This will give you an idea of how long it will take the potential company to complete the move and how much it will cost.
4. Ensure to Show them Everything
Do a walk-through of your house and make a list of every item that needs to be moved. Make sure that you need to move special items such as hot tubs or pool tables. Let the movers know ahead of the time so they know at
Forgetting to tell them about items that require special tools to move, could cause havoc on the day of the move. Be upfront and show the moving company everything that needs to be relocated. They need to plan ahead as well; this will prevent any misunderstandings and lead to a much smoother move.
5. Check your Documents
The estimated quote must be presented as a contract. To ensure that this a legally binding document, it must contain the following:
– The company’s full trading name and business title
– The company’s full address details, including street name, phone number, website, and a relevant contact person
Make sure you have the contact number of the head manager and the driver’s details.
Additional Moving QUESTIONS
Moving using PODS
Another option is moving by hiring PODS. These are portable containers used especially for long-distance moves. Hiring a POD can cost anywhere between $349 – $549. While hiring a long-distance moving company will cost on average between $999 – $2,999 depending on your requirements.
A standard POD can comfortably store standard furniture from a two-bedroom house or up to 1,200sq.ft. PODS are a flexible, convenient alternative to self-storage options.
Benefits of PODS include:
- You have complete control of your moving timeline and can take your time packing
- Flexible storage solution while you decide what to keep or get rid of
- The company is responsible for driving the POD to your next destination
- Customize your move to accommodate bulky items and special furniture
DIY Moving Truck
- Moving plants can be tricky, professional movers have the necessary skills and equipment to ensure your plants are safe during the relocation.
- Movers moving big plant towards moving truck.
If you prefer the hands-on approach, you could always hire a moving truck. This will save you money and let you be in complete control of your move. A professional moving company will be able to assist you with a full-service move but this can prove to be costly.
Advantages of DIY moving include:
- You are in control of every aspect of the move and can create your own timeline
- Pack the truck according to your own specifications
If you don’t have a lot of help, moving large items or special items can be problematic. All the responsibility for your items that are in transit will fall on you, there will be no one else to blame.
Divorce and Relocations
Relocating after getting divorced can be a stressful situation. This is especially true if you have children. A judge will arrange a custody hearing and determine who should have full custody of the children. In most cases, the family home will be sold and both parties will need to relocate.
When finding a new home to move into, try and keep the children in the same school district and close enough so that both parents will have the option of visitation.
Moving with Kids
Moving is a very stressful experience; it becomes even more difficult when moving with kids. The key is being prepared.
- Prepare your kids for the move and let them know what is expected from them
- Don’t Leave Things to the Last Minute and get stuck with last-minute movers that may end up costing more
- Give them their own special boxes to help them feel comfortable
- Stick to your normal routine
- Explore your new neighborhood
Take a drive to the new neighborhood a week before you plan on relocating. Allow your children to explore and visit the local parks or kids center. Try to meet your neighbors. If they have children, see if you can arrange a playdate.
Moving with Pets
- Moving pets is an important part of your relocation. You should trust professional pet movers to help you relocate your furry friends.
- Dog sitting on moving box.
Your furry friends are part of the family. Moving for them can be a very stressful situation, especially if they aren’t prepared in advance. Pets can become anxious when you start packing boxes or have strange people moving around your home.
Tips for moving with pets include:
- Pack an overnight kit. This should contain your pet’s food, litter box, favorite toys, and grooming tools.
- Contact your vet and ask them for a copy of your pets’ medical history. This is especially important if you are moving long-distance.
- Send them to a kennel or friend on moving day. if this isn’t an option keep them in the bathroom or other quiet room where they won’t be disturbed.
- Let your pet travel in your vehicle to your new home. This should help limit your pets’ stress levels.
- Let them get settled in the new home before you allow them to go outside.
Moving with Plants
If you plan on taking your plants along to your new destination follow these simple tips:
- Repot plants into shatter-proof plastic pots
- Prune overgrown plants so they are easy to move
- Inspect the plants and remove any insects
- Wrap large plants in a bed sheet to prevent the branches from breaking off during transit
- Don’t forget to make air holes in the box so the plants can breathe
Stress and Moving
Stress and moving go hand-in-hand. Moving is very stressful, the way to limit your stress is to be as prepared as possible. Tips include:
- Declutter and donate as much as possible
- Give yourself as much time as possible to pack
- Take the day off work so you can concentrate on moving
- Label your boxes and have a content list
- Ask your family and friends for assistance
Recapping Our 5 Best Moving Companies
Atlas Van Lines
Atlas Van Lines is a part of a much larger group of logistics and relocation companies that provide services for the United States and Canada. They are one of the biggest moving companies in the country. If you need to move your household or corporate business, they are a one-stop moving service that offers extras such as, auto transport and storage.
If you need special items relocated, they specialize in moving. They also provide moving items such as plants, boats, pool tables, pianos, and swings, as well as other non-traditional items.
The cost of interstate relocation that includes full-value protection starts at $3,000 while cross-country moving starts at $7,000.
United Van Lines
United Van Lines has an excellent reputation and they have been in the logistics and relocation industry since 1928. Their years of experience in the industry make them a tried and tested company that has stood the test of time. Services offered include vehicle transportation, furniture storage, and real estate services.
This company does everything for you and offers full-package services also including home cleaning and trash removal to suit your budget. Their goal is to make your move as stress-free as possible.
Their amazing IT team can handle moving all your complicated electronics and even relocate your network at your new residence. If you require assistance removing and setting up your appliances, they will be very happy to assist you.
Bekins Van Lines
Bekins Van Lines has been involved in the moving business for many years. They have become a household name that you can trust. Bekins operates through an in-house staff of experienced movers as well as through agents composed of different moving companies that specialize in interstate relocation. This allows them to cover a much larger area.
The clever automatic estimate tool available on their website estimates that an interstate move for a 1 bedroom starts at about $2000 to $2700. The price will vary according to how far you are moving and how many items you need to relocate.
Mayflower Transit features a complete moving solution that caters to both residential and commercial clients. They offer a variety of extra add-on services that allow customers to customize their move. Packages may include car transfers and storage services. The package can be adjusted to suit your budget and requirements.
The moving costs start at $1,500 for a very budget-friendly studio apartment.
Allied Van Lines
Allied Van Lines has branches in over 130 countries, this means that they cover a large area and have experts available nationwide. They specialize in international moving and guarantee that your goods will arrive in perfect condition when they reach their final destination. They also offer a complete service that will help you get settled in your new country. They will unpack for you and set up any items that may require assembly.
The online international shipment tracking feature allows you to track your move from any computer, phone, or laptop. It may be difficult to trust a company to move your most valued possessions but their professional friendly service will put your mind at ease.
They offer a 24-hour customer service line on both long-distance and local moves. If you have any concerns or encounter any problems, simply give them a call and one of their consultants will assist you.
Allied Vans have been helping people to move for over 85 years. During this time, they have learned a few tricks and are eager to share the tips that work. Moving across the country, or overseas has never been easier. They will handle everything on your behalf, from packing and transport to unpacking and settling in your new home.
These are our top 5 moving companies, we recommend using them if you want a stress-free, long-distance move. Their friendly service and professional attitude will keep you smiling all the way to your new home.