There are a variety of reasons why people are moving out of California, including high living costs, traffic congestion, and increasing crime rates. On top of that, some are seeking a change of pace or a different lifestyle, while others are leaving due to job opportunities or to be closer to family.
- Los Angeles, California.min.jpg
- Las Vegas, Nevada.min.jpg
- Moving truck.min.jpg
- Movers loading a van.min.jpg
- Moving broker.min.jpg
- Writing down.min.jpg
- Dollar bills.min.jpg
- Welcome to Nevada sign.min.jpg
- Moving boxes.min.jpg
- California is one of the most relevant states in the American territory, but living here is not as affordable, so thousands of residents are moving out of California each year.
- View of Downtown Los Angeles during the day.
And Nevada is one of the top three states where people from California are moving to the most. In 2019 alone, over 47,000 people moved from California to Nevada, and this could be explained by the proximity between the two locations, as they are neighboring states.
Moving from California to Nevada can be a significant change, as both states have unique cultures and environments. While California is known for its beaches, mountains, and diverse population, Nevada offers a more arid, desert landscape and a reputation for entertainment and nightlife.
- Nevada is home to major cities that are also affordable, which is why this state is attracting so many new residents on a yearly basis.
- The Mirage Hotel in Las Vegas at night.
The distance between California and Nevada is approximately 215 miles, so it’s important to keep in mind that your movers are allowed to take up to 21 business days to move your items across that distance, according to the law.
The cost of living in Nevada is generally lower than in California, with no state income tax and lower housing costs. However, it’s important to note that some cities in Nevada, such as Las Vegas, have higher costs of living due to their tourism industry. The climate in Nevada is also different, with hot summers and mild winters.
In this comprehensive guide, we’ll answer all your questions about moving from California to Nevada!
How Much Does It Cost to Move From California to Nevada?
The costs of moving can vary depending on several factors, such as the distance of the move, the size of the household, and the number of belongings being transported. Expenses can include packing materials, labor costs, insurance, and travel expenses.
But the expenses will also depend on the type of moving you choose. While certain movers aren’t budget-friendly, there are also options for those who want to save money or who want to have more autonomy in the moving process.
Below, we’ll show you three moving options and how much it costs to move from California to Nevada with each of these options.
Hiring a full-service moving company
A full-service moving company is a professional moving company that provides a range of services to handle all aspects of a move. This includes packing, loading, transportation, unloading, unpacking, and optional services such as storage and specialty item transport.
- Full-service movers may not be the cheapest, but they offer a wide range of services that’ll make your moving process much easier.
- A large moving truck in a parking lot.
Hiring a full-service moving company can provide convenience and ease during a move, with professionals handling all aspects of the move. However, it can be more expensive than a DIY move, and there’s less control over the process. Additionally, there’s the possibility of damage or loss of belongings, so it’s important to research and select a trustworthy moving company.
Here are the estimated moving costs of hiring a full-service moving company to relocate from California to Nevada.
- Studio/1 Bedroom: $1092 – $1821
- 2-3 Bedrooms: $2517 – $4196
- 4+ Bedrooms: $3230 – $5383
- Office-Commercial Moving: $5400+
Renting a DIY moving truck
Renting a DIY moving truck can be a cost-effective option for those who want more control over their move. These trucks are rented on a per-day basis and come in various sizes to accommodate different amounts of belongings.
However, it’s important to note that driving a large moving truck can be challenging, and may require a special license or permit. Additionally, you’ll need to load and unload the truck yourself and provide your own packing materials. It’s also important to be aware of any additional fees or charges, such as mileage or fuel charges, and moving insurance.
Here are the estimated moving costs of renting a DIY moving truck to relocate from California to Nevada. Note that these estimates don’t include additional expenses (gas, repairs, insurance, et cetera).
- Studio/1 Bedroom: starting at $359
- 2-3 Bedrooms: starting at $449
- 4+ Bedrooms: starting at $539
- Office-Commercial Moving: starting at $984.00
Renting a moving container
Renting a moving container is an increasingly popular option for those who want a flexible and convenient way to move. These containers are delivered to your home, where you can load them at your own pace. Once loaded, the container is picked up and transported to your new location.
- When you choose to rent a moving container, you’ll pay for the space you need and you won’t have to worry about actually driving the container to your new location.
- A pile of containers.
This moving option can be cost-effective, as you only pay for the space you need. Additionally, you can store the container at your new location if needed. But keep in mind that you’ll need a suitable location for the container, and there may be restrictions on parking or delivery.
Here are the estimated moving costs of renting a moving container to relocate from California to Nevada.
- Studio/1 Bedroom: starting at $540
- 2-3 Bedrooms: starting at $810
- 4+ Bedrooms: starting at $1080
- Office-Commercial Moving: starting at $1215
How to Hire Movers from California to Nevada?
To hire movers from California to Nevada, it’s important to research and compare different moving companies. Look for licensed and insured movers with experience in long-distance moves, and read reviews and ratings from previous customers.
On top of that, request a free estimate and compare prices and services before making a decision. Be sure to ask about any additional fees or charges, as well as their policy on lost or damaged belongings.
But before you start looking for movers, you need to first understand that there are different types of movers, and you’ll have to base your choice on that. Below, we’ll introduce three types of movers and talk about how to hire movers from California to Nevada.
Interstate movers are professional moving companies that specialize in helping people relocate between different states. They offer a range of services to handle all aspects of a long-distance move, including packing, loading, transportation, unloading, and unpacking.
- Interstate movers can help you relocate between different states, and they’re exactly what you’ll need to move from California to Nevada.
- Two movers loading a van with moving boxes.
Because you are moving from California to Nevada, you will have to hire this type of mover. However, depending on the distance you’re relocating, you may need a different type of moving company.
Long-distance movers are professional moving companies that specialize in moving belongings across long distances, typically across state lines or to another part of the country.
While each company gets to determine the mileage they consider “long distance,” the general agreement is that anything above 400 miles is a long-distance move. Unless you live next to the state border, you’ll likely need to hire a long-distance mover to relocate from California to Nevada.
Cross-country movers are professional moving companies that specialize in moving belongings across the entire country, typically from one coast to another. They offer a range of services to handle all aspects of a cross-country move, including packing, loading, transportation, unloading, and unpacking.
Because this type of relocation is rather complex, cross-country movers need to have a special license from the DoT, and they also need to comply with different quality/safety standards. While cross-country moving is rather expensive, this is not something you’ll have to worry about when moving from California to Nevada, as you’ll only need a long-distance mover.
There are lots of moving companies out there, and it can be incredibly hard to choose the one that’s going to help you relocate. In case you’re concerned about not making a good choice when it comes to picking a mover, you can always consider hiring a moving broker.
Moving brokers are middlemen who connect consumers with moving companies. They don’t own trucks, employ movers, or work for a specific company – they simply arrange for a moving company to provide services to the customer.
- A moving broker can help you find the ideal moving company, but their services will mean an extra expense in your relocating process.
- A broker sitting in his office with papers on the table.
The benefits of hiring a moving broker include the convenience of having multiple moving companies and quotes provided in one place, and the potential to save money through negotiation.
Best Moving Companies to Help Relocate from California to Nevada
When choosing a moving company, it’s important to do your research to find the ideal company for your needs. Start by checking the company’s credentials, such as their license and insurance, and their reputation by reading reviews from past customers.
Look for a company that offers a range of services that fits your needs, but also look for a company that fits your budget. While moving can be an expensive ordeal, if you do your research right, you can easily find an affordable and reliable mover.
Here are 3 of the best moving companies to move from California to Nevada.
United Van Lines
United Van Lines is a moving company that provides a range of relocation services to individuals and businesses. Established in 1928, the company has a network of agents across the United States and offers both domestic and international moving services.
This mover offers basic services like packing and unpacking, storage solutions, and transportation of items such as cars and boats. With a reputation for quality service, United Van Lines has won numerous awards for customer satisfaction and is known for its commitment to making the moving process as stress-free as possible for its customers.
Bekins Van Lines
Another nationwide company is Bekins Van Lines. Like United, this company offers a wide range of relocation services, from basic stuff like packing to more specialized services like boat transportation services.
One of the pros of Bekins Van Lines is its long history and reputation for quality service, as well as its comprehensive moving and storage services. However, one potential con is that their services may be more expensive than other moving companies, and some customers have reported issues with communication and timeliness.
If you reside in Southern California and you’re looking into moving to Nevada, you can always count on Pink Mover. Unlike the other two companies, this mover is a local company, which means that their services tend to be more personalized for each customer.
One of the pros of Pink Moving is their affordable pricing, with flat rate fees and transparent pricing that can help customers budget more effectively. A downside is that they may not be available in all areas and may have limited availability during peak moving season. Additionally, some customers have reported issues with customer service and communication.
Why Are People Moving to Nevada?
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, approximately 50,000 people move to Nevada each year, making it one of the fastest-growing states in the country.
People are choosing Nevada over California for several reasons, including the lower cost of living, tax advantages, and more affordable housing options. Additionally, Nevada’s proximity to California makes it an attractive alternative for those looking to move out of state but remain within the region.
Here are 3 reasons why people are moving to Nevada.
- Lower cost of living: Nevada is known for its lower cost of living compared to many other states, especially California. This is attractive to people who want to stretch their dollars further.
- Job opportunities: This state has a diverse economy with job opportunities in industries such as gaming, hospitality, healthcare, and technology. This has attracted many people looking for work in these fields.
- Outdoor recreation: The Silver State is home to many national parks and outdoor recreational opportunities, such as Lake Tahoe and Red Rock Canyon. This appeals to people who enjoy outdoor activities and want to be surrounded by natural beauty.
What Are the Top Benefits of Moving from California to Nevada?
Choosing a new place to live will depend on different factors. If you’re moving for a job opportunity, then you won’t get to actually choose a location, but if you’re moving in hopes of having a better life, you’ll need to do thorough research before you pack your bags and relocate.
- Before making a decision regarding moving, it’s important to make a list of the pros and cons of moving from California to Nevada based on what is and isn’t important to you.
- Person writing down a list of pros and cons.
While each person is different and has different things they’re looking for and looking to avoid, there are certain general advantages and disadvantages of moving from California to Nevada. To help you make this move, here are some of them.
Pros of Moving from California to Nevada
- Quality of life
- Many people find that the lower cost of living, natural beauty, and wide range of activities make Nevada an attractive place to live and raise a family.
- Tax advantages
- Nevada has no state income tax or corporate tax, which can be a major draw for both individuals and businesses.
- Growing economy
- Nevada has a fast-growing economy, with a low unemployment rate and an increasing number of new businesses and startups.
Cons of Moving from California to Nevada
- Different climate
- Nevada has a hot and dry climate, which may be a difficult adjustment for those used to the mild coastal weather of California.
- Distance from the coast
- Nevada is a landlocked state, meaning that it is far from the ocean and beach activities that California is known for.
- Limited cultural attractions
- Nevada has fewer cultural attractions than California, with fewer museums, theaters, and other cultural institutions.
Comparison: Price of Living in California vs. Price of Living in Nevada
As we have been mentioning the differences in prices of living in California and Nevada, you may be wondering just how much money you can start saving after you make this move. Provided that you will continue earning the same monthly income in your new address, you will be positively surprised to see how much more affordable Nevada is.
- One of the advantages of moving from California to Nevada is that the latter is a much more affordable place to live in. Check out our table comparing the costs of living in California and Nevada.
- Person holding a $100 dollar bills in their hands.
Comparing the cost of living in California versus Nevada reveals a significant difference in expenses. Housing costs in California are generally higher, with median home values in the state often exceeding those in Nevada. Additionally, California has a state income tax, which can be a significant expense for some individuals. In contrast, Nevada has no state income tax, which can lead to substantial savings for residents.
Below, we have prepared a table comparing the costs of living in Los Angeles County (California) versus the costs of living in Clark County (Nevada), which are two major areas in each state.
All estimates presented in the table above were calculated considering the expenses of a family of two adults and two children. The data was retrieved from the Economic Policy Institute’s Family Budget Calculator.
Best Places to Move to in Nevada
When choosing the right city to move to in Nevada, it’s important to consider factors such as cost of living, job opportunities, access to amenities, and community culture. Bigger cities offer a wide range of entertainment options and job opportunities, while smaller cities may offer a more relaxed lifestyle.
It’s also important to consider the climate, with some cities experiencing hot, dry summers and cold, snowy winters. We know that researching and visiting potential cities to get a better sense of the community is not always an easy task, so we have listed the top 4 cities to move to in Nevada.
- Las Vegas
- Known as the “Entertainment Capital of the World,” Las Vegas offers a wide range of entertainment options, from world-class shows to a vibrant nightlife scene. The city also offers a relatively low cost of living, with affordable housing and no state income tax.
- With a population of around 320,000, Henderson offers a variety of entertainment options, including outdoor activities such as hiking and biking. The city also has a relatively low cost of living and a strong job market, with a focus on industries such as healthcare and technology. Henderson has a reputation for safety and cleanliness.
- Boulder City
- This small, friendly community is located approximately 20 miles from Las Vegas. The city is known for its historic charm and outdoor recreational opportunities, including hiking, fishing, and boating. Boulder City has a low crime rate, and its schools are highly rated, making it a popular choice for families.
- This mid-sized city located in the northern part of the state has a growing job market, particularly in the technology and healthcare sectors, as well as a thriving arts and culture scene. Reno is known for its outdoor recreational opportunities, including skiing and hiking, and has a relatively low cost of living compared to other major cities in the western United States.
In the end, is Moving from California to Nevada Worth It?
Moving from California to Nevada is a big decision that requires careful consideration of multiple factors. One of the most significant factors that motivate people to move from California to Nevada is the lower cost of living. The cost of housing, utilities, and groceries in Nevada is generally lower than in California.
- At the end of the day, it’s up to you to decide whether moving from California to Nevada is worth it. Consider your financial situation, career prospects, and whatever else is making you relocate before you make a decision.
- A ‘Welcome to Nevada’ sign in the desert.
Additionally, Nevada does not have a state income tax, which can be a significant advantage for those looking to save money.
Another factor that draws people to Nevada is the state’s beautiful natural scenery. From the bright lights of Las Vegas to the majestic beauty of Lake Tahoe, there are plenty of breathtaking sights to take in throughout the state. Additionally, Nevada’s warm, sunny climate makes it an attractive option for those who prefer a mild climate year-round.
However, there are also potential downsides to moving from California to Nevada. For example, while the cost of living may be lower, job opportunities may be more limited in some areas of Nevada. On top of that, the state’s hot, dry climate may not be ideal for everyone, particularly those who enjoy cooler temperatures or more varied weather patterns.
Ultimately, the decision to move from California to Nevada is up to you, and you should take into account your individual preferences, financial considerations, and career goals.
How to Move from California to Nevada?
Moving is a process that requires time, money, and patience. Depending on how well you prepare for the relocation, it can be a smooth process or it can be highly complicated. First-time movers tend to have the hardest time preparing to relocate, but we’re here to help.
We have prepared a list of ten easy steps to follow that will help make your moving process as uncomplicated as possible. Here are 10 tips on how move from California to Nevada.
- Plan Ahead
- Planning ahead is the easiest way to avoid problems down the road. Take a mement to write down all the things you need to do before you actually contact a moving company. You can use our downloadable moving checklist to make this process easier.
- We mentioned how some companies will calculate your moving costs based on the weight of your belongings. In this case, one way of reducing moving costs is to downsize before you hire a mover.
- Get Moving Quotes
- Another method to help reduce moving costs is to get moving quotes from different companies. Compare the quotes and then choose the most affordable mover. You can use our free moving costs calculator to get moving quotes from the top movers in the country.
- Book Movers
- Once you find an affordable and reliable moving company, it’s time to book their services. By doing this in advance, you’ll also get to save some money. Leaving it to the last minute may result in extra fees.
- Visit Your New Area
- Depending on where you live in California, Nevada is just one drive away. In case you’re still not sure about this move, you can always visit your new area and get a feel of the community.
- Start Packing
- Now that you’ve found a mover and visited your new area, you can start packing your things. Because this is a long and arduous process, you should start packing at least six weeks before you scheduled moving date.
- Create an Essentials Box
- When packing your belongings, you should create an ‘Essentials’ box. In this box, you’ll store all the items you’ll need when you get to your new location, like cups, toiletries, and other stuff.
- Say Farewells
- One of the most emotional parts of moving is when you have to say goodbye to your friends and family. Even if you don’t know a lot of people, it’s a good idea to start saying farewells at least two or three weeks before the move.
- Get Some Rest
- Even if you hire a full-service mover to do all the work for you, you’ll still feel tired during your moving process, especially if you’re moving with kids. That’s normal, but don’t forget to get some rest before the big day or else you won’t enjoy the process.
- Enjoy the Move
- It’s hard to say goodbye to your loved ones and to the routine you have known for a while. But keep in mind that moving to Nevada will give you the opportunity to have a better quality of life, so you should enjoy the move and have fun!
Moving Services to Help You Relocate from California to Nevada
Once you start checking moving companies’ websites, you’ll notice that there are different moving services that they offer. While it can seem a bit overwhelming to understand them at first, you need to keep in mind that, in order to hire the right mover, you’ll need to know each of these services.
- When hiring a mover, you need to make sure they offer all the services you need. To help you, we’ve listed the most relevant moving services you can find.
- Moving boxes ready to be loaded into a moving truck.
To help you get more familiar with the moving process, below we’ll briefly explain some of the most relevant moving services you can find. Here are 9 moving services to help you relocate from California to Nevada.
- Furniture Transportation
- Furniture transportation is the process of moving furniture from one location to another. This can involve packing, loading, and unloading furniture, as well as transporting it safely to the new location. Furniture transportation can be a challenging process, so hire a reliable mover.
- Residential Movers
- Residential movers are companies that specialize in moving household items from one residence to another. They provide a range of services, including packing, loading, transportation, unloading, and unpacking.
- Piano Transportation
- Pianos are large, heavy, and delicate musical instruments that require specialized care during transportation. Moving companies use special equipment and techniques to ensure that pianos are moved from California to Nevada safely and securely without damage.
- Art and Antiques Movers
- Art and antique movers are specialized moving companies that focus on the safe transportation of valuable and fragile artwork and antiques. They use specialized packing materials and techniques to transport the items safely, so if you want to move art and antiques from California to Nevada, you’ll want to hire them.
- Hot Tub Movers
- Moving a hot tub requires specialized equipment and techniques to ensure that the tub is transported safely and without damage. Hot tub movers can help simplify the moving process for homeowners who want to take their hot tub from California to Nevada.
- Pool Table Movers
- Another bulky item that can be safely transported with special techniques and equipment is a pool table. Movers who specialize in this service may charge a little extra, but it’s totally worth it if you want to move a pool table from California to Nevada.
- Office Movers
- Office movers are specialized moving companies that focus on the relocation of office spaces, including furniture, equipment, and other items. Office moves require careful planning and execution to ensure minimal disruptions. These are the guys you’ll need if you want to relocate a business from California to Nevada.
- Long-Distance Movers
- Long-distance movers are moving companies that specialize in transporting household items over long distances, typically over 100 miles. These moves require careful planning and coordination to ensure that items are transported safely and efficiently.
- Last-Minute Movers
Last-minute movers are moving companies that can provide moving services on short notice, typically within a few days or less. These movers can be a good option for anyone who needs to move quickly. Just keep in mind that their services can be more expensive than hiring a regular mover.