If you’re planning on moving from coast to coast there are many factors that you need to take into consideration. The first thing you need to do is formulate a plan. In order to plan correctly you will need to do some research. Moving is a stressful experience in itself but long-distance moving comes with its own challenges. Different states have a different way of living and you will need to adapt in order to settle in.
- moving truck loaded_driving_on_the_road.min.jpg
- Moving coast to coast presents its own set of challenges and this is what you need to know.
- Map with markers of the USA.
Start by writing a checklist. This should include everything that you require when moving and list all the possible moving companies. You need to consider where you are moving to and find out the licensing requirements involved when you move from coast to coast.
TIP: Find a registered moving company that adheres to all rules and regulations.
Moving costs are one of the most important aspects that you need to consider. The cost of the move will depend on certain factors, such as the distance you are moving.
Do you plan on packing yourself? Or do you require a full-service moving company?
A basic move will cost anything between $6,000 – $9,000 but this will vary depending on the weight of your belongings. If you plan far enough ahead you can ask the moving company if they offer discounts or find other ways to save on the costs involved.
Tips for moving:
- Plan a moving budget and stick to it: Make sure that you ask several moving companies for quotes. This allows you to compare the cost and find the best option to suit your needs.
- Find out how much a full-service move will cost, compared to using a partial moving service.
- Before hiring a long-distance moving company, you should downsize and donate or throw as much as possible, before you start packing.
- Consider the cost of brokers vs movers. Remember that a moving broker doesn’t move for you, instead, they find a reputable moving company that will help you with your cross-country move. This is an extra level of protection so you don’t end up losing your belongings in a scam. You should report moving scams with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA).
- Another important consideration to factor into the costing is types of moving insurances and compare moving costs.
- Don’t fall into the trap of using cheap movers as they may not be up to standard
- Compare moving cost estimates and find out if this includes the cost of moving furniture and other bulky items
- Some companies offer senior moving services should you require them
The first factor to consider is moving costs. Relocating can end up costing a lot of money.
- Licensing for coast to coast movers
- Moving coast to coast prices (factors: distance, insurance, full/partial moving service, discounts, etc)
Our Top Picks
When moving long-distance, it’s important to look for moving companies that specialize in this type of moving. Search for a moving company that you can believe in. Look for a company that has an excellent reputation and specializes in long-distance moving.
There are many scams online when it comes to moving cross-country, you trust the movers with your personal belongings and they just disappear. Leaving you with the cost of replacing everything. To stop this from happening, consider hiring a broker.
The broker won’t physically move your items, but they will help you find a reputable moving company that won’t disappear into the night.
A specialized long-distance moving company will have the skills and tools necessary to handle the move successfully.
The company you chose should:
- Have an excellent reputation
- Check for online reviews and read testimonials
- Have a positive track record
- Their licensing and insurance must be up to date
- Find out what the insurance package covers
- Best for budget moving: Atlas Van Lines
- Best for customer service: Allied Van Lines
- Best overall: Mayflower
Atlas Van Lines
Atlas Van Lines has been in the business of moving for many years. They have over 430 stores throughout Canada and the USA. Customers receive great value for money. They are partnered up with the AAA and members receive extra special benefits. There are different packing packages available to suit your needs and your budget.
They also have the option of a full moving service, that includes everything from packing to unpacking, transportation, and everything in between.
- Over 430 locations Nationwide
- Mobile App can be downloaded for added convenience
- AAA members receive added benefits
- The website isn’t very user-friendly and some people may find requesting a quote difficult.
- They don’t offer insurance. Providing your own would be your responsibility
Problems with the mobile app can be reported by contacting customer support. They are always ready to assist.
Cost of moving service
- The cost is reasonable compared to competitors offering the same services. There are packages available that vary in price. They will work within your budget.
Why we recommend Atlas Van Lines
- They are excellent at what they do and have many positive reviews.
- The staff are welcoming, gracious, and accommodating.
- The movers are very cautious and capable of making sure your items are not scratched in transit.
Mayflower is a full-service moving company. They believe in face-to-face interactions and will come to your household to complete an in-home examination. Once this has been completed you will receive a quotation from them.
The package allows you to add on extras that you may need, such as house cleaning, moving vehicles, and even putting your furniture back together at your final destination.
- Available of over the nation
- Offers a full moving service package and options to add extras
- Design your own moving experience
- Add any extra services you may require
- An in-house inspection must be performed before they are prepared to quote
Cost of moving service
- Design your move based on your individual budget
- Add or remove additional services as required
Why we recommend Mayflower
- You have complete control of your moving package
- It’s simple to add extra services such as house cleaning and furniture assembly
- Packages available to suit any budget
- Boxes and furniture of handled with care
Allied Van Lines
They concentrate on helping people relocate over long distances or even internationally. Moving is their profession and they take it very seriously. Having them in your corner means that they will handle all the red tape for you, so your move will run a lot smoother.
You don’t even need to lift a finger, simply sit back and relax. Take advantage of their full-service packages that consist of packing, tracking, and unpacking.
- Track your items online from any Smartphone or laptop while they are in transit
- There are several different package options available
- It’s easy to apply for a quote online
- There is no 24/7 claims number to call should you have a problem
- Local moving costs are more expensive
Cost of moving service
- It’s more expensive to move locally
- There are many different packages available to suit your budget requirements
- The movers are skilled at moving households internationally
Why we recommend Allied Van Lines
- They offer a no-nonsense, stress-free move
- Quotes can be customized
- Request quotes online
- Excellent at moving with children or the elderly
- They offer corporate office moving relocation packages
How Much Does A Coast-to-coast Move Cost?
- Planning will make moving less stressful.
- A front view of a new home.
Moving a studio apartment locally will cost between $150 – $200. This cost will increase when you move a long distance. The cost can be anything from $1,200 and more, depending on how much stuff you need to move and the type of package that you decide to use.
A one-bedroom apartment will have similar costing as a studio apartment. It should cost between $150 and $200 locally and $1,200 cross-country. There are full-service and partial moving services available deepening on your requirements.
A two-bedroom house will cost between $375-$450 to move locally, while a long-distance move can cost between $1,500-$2,200 for the basic package.
The cost of moving a three-bedroom apartment or house can cost $800-$900 when moving locally and for long-distance moves, you should budget at least $3,500-$4,200.
This cost will increase depending on the number of items you need to move and if you require a full moving service.
Full-service moving costs
If you opt for full-service moving you are making a wise decision, not only the simplest way to move but also the most convenient way of moving interstate.
A full-service move includes:
- All loading, unloading
- Moving blankets
- Pads and straps
- Furniture breakdown, and reassembly
- Moving equipment such as dollies and rollies are included
- Studio/1 bedroom: Estimated Cost: $1,780 – $3,150
- 2-3 bedroom: Estimated Cost: $3,893 – $5,670
Coast to coast moving services
- DIY moving could save you money
- Moving truck being driven on the road
If you prefer the prospect of DIY, you could always rent a moving truck. This can be a perfect way to save on costs and will help your budget stretch a little bit further. Deciding on this option puts you in complete control of your move.
A specialized relocation company will be able to assist you with a full-service move that includes everything from packing to unpacking. This is an added cost, but the company will be held responsible if anything happens in transit. If you DIY the move, everything becomes your responsibility.
Benefits of DIY moving include:
- You are in charge of every aspect of the move and can generate your own timeline
- Pack the truck however you wish
You will need to ask your friends and family to help you move if you don’t want to hire professionals. Otherwise moving special items can be problematic. All the accountability for your items that are in transit will fall on you. If something bad happens there won’t be anyone else to blame.
Rent a moving POD
Another option is moving by renting a moving POD. These are portable containers that are used when moving long distances. You can be charged anywhere between $349 – $549 to hire a POD. Long-distance moving will cost on average between $999 – $2,999 depending on which moving package you select.
A standard POD can comfortably accommodate standard furniture from a two-bedroom house or up to 1,200sq.ft. PODS can store your items which makes them a convenient alternative to self-storage.
Advantages of PODS include:
- Complete control of your relocation timeline. This allows you to develop a packing schedule
- Keeps your items safe while you decide what to pack or donate
- The moving company will drive the POD to your new home
- Design your move to include the cost of bulky items and unique furniture requirements
Some moving companies offer a moving container service. They drop off the container at your location and then you are left to pack it as you see fit. You will have access to the container for a certain amount of time. Once you have packed it to capacity, contact the moving company to come and fetch it.
Advantages of moving containers include:
- You can work at your own pace
- You don’t require any specialized equipment
- The container acts as storage while you are packing
- Costing is calculated monthly
The only disadvantage is that you need to hire high-quality containers that won’t leak. This can prove quite costly.
Do you have a car that doesn’t drive and requires transport to your new house? Then you should consider contacting an auto moving service. They will come to your location and give you a custom-made quote to move your vehicle. This is a door-to-door service that makes moving your car hassle-free. By hiring a moving company, you will:
- Save on the cost of fuel, cost of storage, and toll payments
- Save you time and energy
- There will be no additional wear and tear on the vehicle
- No added extra mileage
- Limited risk of having an accident
The company will perform a full inspection upon collection and delivery of your vehicle to ensure it wasn’t damaged in transit. All vehicles are insured by the company’s insurance provider so if damage occurs you will be covered.
Each vehicle carrier is monitored by 24-hour satellite tracking. Drivers are highly skilled and practice safe driving habits.
If anything should go wrong, the driver will notify us immediately and the company will do everything in its power to ensure that your vehicle is well taken care of. If any damage occurs the company will take full responsibility and pay for any damages.
TIP: Don’t fall victim to auto transport scams. Investigate the company before choosing your preferred auto mover.
Full-service moving, moving bulky items, moving art pieces, moving piano
When moving you should make special arrangements to move items that are deemed as usual. These items are known as non-traditional items. These items include instruments, breakable items or bulky pieces of furniture, and large appliances.
If you have ever tried to move a piano before, then you know how difficult it can be. For items such as these, it’s best to contact the experts. A piano needs specialized piano transportation to protect the delicate pieces. The same goes for moving artwork and antiques. These items can’t be relocated by just any moving company.
They require art and antique movers that specialize in moving these items. They take on the responsibility of ensuring that your valuables arrive at their new destination unharmed.
Moving a hot tub and other such items will require specialized movers that are skilled at performing this type of relocation. Moving a pool table is not as easy to move as you may have imagined. A pool table needs to be treated sensibly and stay flawlessly stable.
Contact pool table movers to confirm that your pool table won’t be damaged during transportation.
Bulky furniture moving experts can help you relocate any objects that need special attention or specialized transport.
Furniture comes in a variety of shapes and dimensions. This can make moving it can be quite a tricky process. Lucky for you, the moving service will take care of everything on your behalf. There are experts in every field to provide support for anything you need to be moved.
All your questions answered when moving coast to coast
- A daugther, mother, and son eating a healthy dinner in their new house.
- A family having dinner together
Divorce and relocations
Moving with children is always difficult. This is even worse if you need to sell your family home or if you divorce during relocation. This is especially true if your children need to change schools and leave their friends behind. A judge will organize a custody hearing to determine who should get full custody of the kids.
As you search for a new place to call home, try and keep the children in the same school district if at all possible. Ensure that the new location is accessible to both sets of parents as this will make visitation much less stressful.
Moving with kids
Moving is a stressful experience in itself, and it becomes a lot more difficult when moving with kids. You need to be prepared. Plan as much as possible.
- Prepare your children and explain that you are relocating. Give them a list of age-appropriate expectations
- Never leave things to the last second. This may cause you to get stuck with last-minute movers. Moving last minute is guaranteed to raise the costs involved
- Make the move special by giving them their own special boxes. This should help them feel more comfortable
- Try to follow your normal routine as much as possible
- Let the children explore their new surroundings
Driving around the new neighborhood a week or so before you plan on relocating is a great way to ease the stress of moving. Let your children visit the local parks or kids center and see if they can connect with other children their ages.
Introduce yourself to your neighbors and see if you can arrange a playdate for the children.
Moving with pets
Your four-legged furry companions are part of the family and they are also affected by the stress of relocating. The best thing you can do is prepare them in advance.
Pets can become nervous when they start noticing your pack. This also makes you become anxious when strangers start moving around your house.
Tips and tricks for moving with animals include:
- Pack an overnight box. Inside should be, your pet’s food, litter box, favorite toys, and grooming items.
- Make sure you have copies of your pets’ medical history. This is especially important if you are moving long-distance or cross-country.
- Consider sending your pets to a kennel or friend on the day that you move. If this isn’t possible, lock them in the bathroom or other quiet room where they won’t be bothered by the movers.
- Let your pet drive with you in your car to your new house. This will help reduce your pet’s stress levels.
- Make sure they are used to the house before you allow them to go outside.
Moving with plants
Relocating your plants to your new house will save on costs and allow you to bring a bit of your old home with you. To move your plants safely, Follow these simple tips:
- Repot plants into shatter-proof plastic pots to keep them safe on the journey
- Cut-off and prune plants that are large or overgrown. This will make them easier to move
- Examine the plants and eradicate any insects that may be living on them
- Covering large plants in a bed sheet will help prevent the branches from breaking off during transportation
- Ensure to make air holes in the box so the plants can breathe and wet the ends so they don’t dry out
Stress and moving
Stress and moving go together like love and marriage. Moving is one of the most stressful experiences that a human is exposed to. A way to limit your stress is to be as prepared as conceivable. Tips include:
- Get rid of broken items and things you no longer need. Donating to the needy will free up space and help someone in need
- Start packing as soon as possible. Give yourself enough time so you don’t end up rushing the packing process
- Take a sick day or a day of leave to concentrate on the move
- Mark your boxes and have created a content list. This can be ticked off to make sure your items arrive at the new destination
- Ask everyone you know to help you move
If you need extra help packing, many moving companies offer full-service moving packages. So you can sit back and relax while they take care of the move for you. They will even unpack and reassemble your furniture at your new destination.
Moving during COVID
- Moving during Covid-19 adds an extra level of stress.
- A mask and bottle of hand sanitizer on a table.
Moving during Covid-19 times can add extra stress to an already very taxing situation. You need to try to limit your stress as much as possible. This can be done by planning ahead. Now with covid hiding behind every corner, there is an added element of stress added.
As an extra precaution, you should have your house completely disinfected before you start packing. Packing items that haven’t been disinfected could mean that you transport the germs, or virus to your new home!
Some companies specialize in Covid-19 cleaning and disinfecting, it’s highly recommended to contact them to make sure that you are complying with all the new Covid-19 regulations.
- Everyone involved washes and sanitizes their hands regularly
- Wears gloves when handling personal items
- Disinfect items before packing them
- Wears a mask at all times
- Have extra hand sanitizer available for everyone to use
There are so many things you need to take into consideration when moving. Hopefully, this article will help you pack like a pro and has helped shed some light on everything you need to remember. Make a list of the tasks you need to complete before you move.
Hire as many professional movers as you can afford and get anyone you know to help that is willing and able.
- Don’t forget to inform relevant service providers that your address has changed and confirm that any policies and legal documents display your new address.
- Perform an inspection of your home and take photos of any damage. If you find any problems, notify your realtor immediately.
- Keep a checklist of anything that needs to be upgraded or repaired
The people who lived in your new home previously may still have a copy of the keys. That’s why it’s so important to change the locks and the alarm codes.
Once you have settled, why not explore your new neighborhood.
Take a walk around the block and see if you bump into any friendly neighbors.