Moving is a big task! And you will soon realize that there are far more methods of moving than you might have expected. From full-service movers to renting a moving truck or moving container. You might have heard of moving PODS. An innovative and affordable way of moving that is becoming increasingly popular. Could renting PODS work for you?
- Four simple steps .min.jpg
- Popular PODS container sizes 7.min.jpg
- Popular PODS container sizes 12.min.jpg
- Popular PODS container sizes 16.min.jpg
- PROS of using PODS.min.jpg
- CONS of using PODS.min.jpg
Renting PODS are useful whether you are moving locally or relocating interstate. If you were moving to Texas from California – the task of moving DIY should simply not be an option. But perhaps hiring full-service movers is not within your budget. Then, PODS could be the optimal solution for you. Here is everything you need to know about PODS!
What are PODS and how do PODS work?
Portable On Demand Storage (PODS) is moving containers that you rent intended for relocation purposes. The company will physically move the container once you have packed it. It can be used for a local or interstate relocation. These containers are available to individuals as well as businesses.
The process is simple. You hire a POD, we deliver to your destination, you pack your belongings, at which point it will be transported to a secure PODS Storage Center. You have easy access to your rented PODS. PODS gives you a contactless service, which makes it one of the most convenient ways of moving.
PODS: Four simple steps
- Check our comprehensive guide for your future relocation using PODS
- PODS journey explained in 4 simple steps
Step One: The PODS will be delivered to your doorstep. You can load on your schedule in the comfort of your driveway.
Step Two: You keep the container/s as long as you need, which allows you easy access to your belongings at any time.
Step Three: We will collect your container, which will be safely and securely stored at the PODS facilities.
Step Four: Your PODS will be moved to your new home or office, whether it is a local relocation or a cross-country relocation.
What are the prices of PODS?
The great thing about PODS is that it can be used for local moving or long-distance moving. It makes cross-country moving far easier – and more convenient.
Below are the estimated costs of hiring PODS for your relocation:
| ||Local moving||Interstate moving||Cross-Country moving||Size of container|
|1 bedroom||$200-$400||$450-$800||$2000-$4000||7-foot container|
|2-3 bedrooms||$300-$650||$750-$1900||$3000-4900||12-foot container|
|4-5 bedrooms||$300-$800||$900-$2100||$5500-$7600||16-foot container|
Popular PODS container sizes
PODS are great for commercial moving or apartment moving. Below are the different size PODS and what it is best used for:
- 7-Foot is great for studio apartment and college moves. Make sure to read our guide carefully for better understanding of PODS sizes!
- Comprehensive guide about 7-foot POD container
- Studio apartment moves
- Smaller dwelling moves
- College student moving
- Estate moving
- Moving items to a second home
- Temporary storage for small remodeling and renovation projects such as bathroom remodels
- 12-Foot is great for larger apartment moves. Enjoy your relocation with PODS!
- Informative image about 12-foot POD container
- Moving homes with two to three rooms
- Larger apartment moves
- Office relocation
- Home remodeling and restoration projects
- 16-Foot Pod will fit a 3-4 bedroom house. They are easily accessible too
- Informative image about 16-foot POD container
- Moving homes with three to four bedrooms
- Office relocations
- Large home remodeling and restoration projects
PROS of using PODS
- PODS gives you a great opportunity for a hassle-free relocation on your own
- Infographic about PROS of using PODS
1. No-contact service
No need to fuss about meeting with drivers or to interrupt your schedule in any way. We deliver and collect the container. You have the only key – so you can rest assured that your belongings are in good hands.
2. PODS have 10X fewer damage claims
Compared to traditional movers, PODS boast a x10 fewer damage claims. You’re the only one that actually works with your belongings, leaving the safety thereof in your own hands.
3. We take care of the driving
There is no need to hire a moving truck, we do all the driving for you!
4. Flexible schedule
You are in control of the schedule, which gives you the luxury of taking your time as it suits you. You control the dates and you can keep the container as long you want or need to.
5. Packing and loading help available
Should you need packing and loading assistance – we will help you with that!
Cons of using PODS
- You need to make sure that PODS is right for you
- Infographic about PROS of using PODS
1. You might need to hire additional moving services
Renting PODS is not inclusive of packing and loading services, and depending on your moving situation – you might need to hire these additional services.
2. You might need a parking permit
You need to verify with your local counsel if you require a parking permit for the container/s.
3. May be more expensive
PODS might end up costing a bit more than U-HAUL services, for example.
4. Dealing with neighbors
You might find that your neighbors are not as keen on PODS as you are. Especially, if it is used for extended periods of time.
If you stay in an apartment building and do not have your driveway, renting PODS might be a bit challenging as you are limited to where it can be placed.
HOW does PODS compare with:
- Traditional Movers
Full-service moving is convenient. Why? All the work is done for you! But this is what makes PODS preferred by some.
- Pack, load, and unpack according to your timeline.
- You are also able to cancel before 5 PM the day before.
- Quick and easy access to your belongings while in storage.
- The best is damage claims are as low as 2% compared to around 20% when using full-service movers.
Are you considering self-storage? Here is how it compares to PODS:
- Your storage is right at your doorstep.
- PODS give you 24/7 access to belongings.
- PODS can be re-delivered.
- Move your stuff without having to reload or unload it.
- Moving Rental Trucks
Should you hire a DIY moving truck or PODS? Let’s see how PODS compare:
- All the driving is done for you. The big benefit if you are moving long-distance.
- Tolls and gas costs are included with PODS.
- PODS have slight size restrictions.
- 30 days of storage included whereas moving trucks have time limits.
What people say is good about PODS
Let’s look at what people love about PODS:
Eric V. said, “The price we were quoted was the price we paid. There were no hidden fees. Our container size estimator was a 12-foot container and it was spot-on. Everything was on time. Overall a brilliant first-time experience moving from Texas to California.”
January 28, 2021
Elizabeth D. said, “Unbelievable service from start to finish. We moved from Delaware to Florida and from delivery to customer service, we only received excellent service. Keep up the great work as you are certainly doing a great job.”
January 21, 2021
Deborah N. said, “We have used PODS twice and it was the best choice we made. Not only are they convenient but they are upfront and accurate about the total amount. We received fast and easy service. We didn’t need to drive a big moving truck for 750 miles. If I ever move again, I will use PODS again.”
January 26, 2021
What people say bad about PODS
Jody M. said, “Pods was great unfortunately until the final delivery. We moved from California to New Hampshire and had to wait for our delivery”
January 7, 2021
Wyde, L. said, “We used PODS for a long-distance move from Kentucky to Florida. We stored our stuff for 10 months. Everything was fine but covered in dust.”
January 19, 2021
Allyson H. said, “Working with PODS has not been the best experience. We moved from Chicago to Denver and I was unable to get hold of them every time I tried to contact them.”
December 20, 2020
Our PODS review
PODS are great if you want to load and unload your belongings, and have it close at hand. Ensure that you hire the correct size as not to overpay or have too little space should it be too small. The biggest advantage of PODS is that it is only your belongings in the container.