There are many things that will influence the cost of your move. If you move off-season you can save up to 40%. How far you will be traveling and the route you take also have an impact on the cost. The size of the home you need to move and how many movers you plan on hiring will also make a big difference.
- Average apartment cubic foot count.min.png
- Man moving truck.min.jpg
- Money in hands.min.jpg
- Guy playing on piano.min.jpg
- Females pool table.min.jpg
- Car shipping.min.jpg
- Piggy bank coins hand.min.jpg
- Couple surrounded by moving boxes.min.jpg
Long-distance/local moving services
If you’re moving more than 400 miles from your current destination that is considered long-distance moving. Any move that requires you to cross state lines needs to adhere to special regulations and will end up costing more. The main difference between moving locally, and moving long distances, is the amount of time that is spent on the road. Local movers don’t require any extra special licenses or permits to relocate your items. Long-distance movers, on the other hand, need to comply with Federal regulations. Keeping your items safe on a long journey will be more difficult than if you’re only traveling a short distance. This affects the costs involved.
To move an average-sized household long distance will cost, on average $4,300. This amount doesn’t include travel insurance or specialty items.
On average a local moving company charges $125 per hour for 2 movers and a truck. This move usually takes between 6 – 10 hours to complete, with an average cost of $750 – $1250.
Average Moving Costs:
1 man and a truck – $79 per hour
2 men and a truck – $119 per hour
3 men and a truck – $159 per hour
4 men and a truck – $199 per hour
Long-distance movers charge per cubic foot. This price will depend on the route.
Average cubic foot count:
- 1 bedroom – 200cf
- 2 bedrooms – 350cf
- 3 bedrooms – 1200cf
- 4 bedrooms – 2000cf
Full-service / partial moving services
- Professional moving services make relocating as easy as 1.. 2.. 3..
- A man standing in front of a moving truck filled with boxes.
Full-service movers take care of everything on your behalf. That includes packing, transport, and unpacking at your new destination. This type of service is perfect for those that don’t have time to pack and need everything handled by the moving service. These professionals are skilled movers that are experts at everything when it comes to relocation. This expertise comes at a price.
Full-service movers might be a more expensive option but let’s look at exactly what they offer:
- Packing: This includes boxes and moving supplies as well as labels and labor. Expert movers will ensure that your items are packed correctly so nothing will be damaged in transit
- Furniture disassembly: Heavy bulky items must be disassembled before they can be moved. This is a difficult task if you don’t know what you’re doing. Full moving experts have all the correct tools and knowledge to make this job a dream. Which means less of a headache for you.
- The truck and loading/unloading: There is no need to mess up your back by lifting heavy boxes. Full-service movers have strong individuals that will do all the heavy lifting on your behalf. Once the truck reaches the new destination, they will unload the boxes and set up the furniture as instructed
- Clean-up: Full-service movers will clean up the house once everything has been moved out of it. They will also dispose of all the unwanted packing materials
How much does it cost?
- Compare costs to save money and find the best moving service for your relocation.
- Dollar bills being held in a hand
Most full-service movers will charge an average of $25 – $50 per hour per mover. The final moving costs will depend on a few different factors including:
- How many movers do you need?
- How many boxes do you have?
- Do you require specialized moving services, such as moving a hot tub or pool table?
- The cost of moving insurance
- How much packing material is used?
- Special instructions
- The time of year you move
- The distance of the move
|MOVING SIZE||NUMBER OF MOVERS||COST PER HOUR||TOTAL HOURS||TOTAL COST|
|STUDIO||2 movers||$119 per hour||4 hours||$640|
|1 BEDROOM||2 movers||$119 per hour||6 hours||$960|
|2 BEDROOMS||2 – 3 movers||$159 per hour||8 hours||$1280|
|3 BEDROOMS||4 movers||$199 per hour||10 hours||$1600|
|4 BEDROOMS||4 movers||$199 per hour||12 hours||$1920|
|5 BEDROOMS||5 – 6 movers||$199 per hour||13 hours||$4100|
|6 BEDROOMS +||6 movers||$199 per hour||14+ hours||1194|
Moving insurance is the insurance you require that covers your items against potential damage during transit. The cost will depend on how far you are moving and the value of the items being moved. Extra fees will be charged for bigger items, such as flat-screen TVs, hot tubs, valuable art pieces, and other specialty items. There are two main types of insurance, basic cover, and full replacement cover. The type you select will depend on the overall value of your items.
Basic cover: The average cost is 60 cents per pound. This can be tricky as something that doesn’t weigh very much, but has a high value will only be partially covered
Full value protection: This insurance will cover the full replacement value of the items. You will be required to pay a premium, usually around $4 – $6 per pound per item. For special items and fine art, you will be charged $100 per pound.
You may not think that the date you plan on moving will make a difference to the cost of moving, but you would be mistaken. Even the day of the week you decide to relocate will have an impact on the costs involved. Spring to late summer is the most popular time to move. This means there is a high demand for moving services and the prices are usually increased. National holidays and weekend moves will also be more costly.
The way to save on costs is to move during the week. Mondays are normally very slow for most moving companies, so the cost will be a lot less than any other day of the week.
Companies, such as full-service movers offer packing services, this includes all the moving supplies necessary. If you choose to make use of this service, it will be quite costly. The movers will do everything on your behalf, so it depends on you. How much are you willing to pay to have peace of mind and a stress-free move?
If you do decide to do it yourself you will need to buy moving supplies including
- Boxes: In various sizes
- Plastic storage bins: These are more durable than boxes and are especially helpful when moving in wet conditions
- Tape: Shipping tape, duct tape, masking tape, painters’ tape, and tape dispensers
- Other: scissors, box cutter, sticker labels, permanent markers, stickers, dolly, gloves, rope, and bungee cords
- Packing material: Bubble wrap, packing paper, newspaper, moving blankets
Additional moving costs:
Moving a piano
- Thinking about how to move your piano? Don’t worry! Read our blog with more tips how to move piano!
- Guy thinking while playing on piano
Have you ever attempted to transport your piano from one room to the other? It was hard, wasn’t it? Now can you consider moving to your new residence? That’s a headache simply ready to manifest. In this case, the best bet is calling in the experts. Moving your piano might be even harder when you have narrow hallways or a staircase.
Then there’s the transporting of the piano, this can require a moving truck and some skilled, robust guys to help move it onto the truck.
You may consider dismantling the piano before you move it? This is a very awful concept. A piano might be very easy to take apart, however, I can assure you it isn’t very simple to put back together again.
By hiring professional movers to relocate your piano you may benefit from the following:
- Less pressure and stress: The movers will tackle all the responsibilities, and if anything goes wrong during transit. Their coverage pays for the damages.
- This is their profession so they will be able to accomplish the task, quickly and efficiently.
Hot tubs are extraordinarily massive and heavy. Moving a hot tub calls for cautious attention and planning in advance. First, you will want to arrange transport, full-service movers will have the tools and equipment that is needed to accomplish this task. Although, you might be tempted to transport it yourself. It will be difficult to find a large enough vehicle. Hot tubs are extremely heavy, so they will need a lot of manpower to move. We propose hiring an expert. They will have the appropriate gear, expert knowledge, and enough strong men to handle the task.
Hot tubs are pricey so don’t take the risk of moving them yourself. This task is best left to expert hot tub movers that understand exactly what they are doing.
Moving bulky items may be complex, in particular, if you have to navigate through small doors and narrow hallways. If you can afford to hire an expert, that would be the ideal solution. If, however, the price of hiring an expert isn’t in your budget. This is one assignment that you could tackle yourself.
The first step to moving bulky furnishings is to plan ahead. Take accurate measurements of the item you need to move. Measure the doorways and small spaces you need to move them through to make sure that they will fit. Formulate a plan, and get as many people to assist as feasible.
To make moving bulky items easier, remove any doors that the items need to be moved through to get to the truck. Make sure there is a clear pathway to the moving truck. Remove anything that the movers or helpers may trip over or need to navigate around.
If your world revolves around art, you then realize how high-priced a number of the pieces may be. Some artwork is priceless! If you want to be sure that your art is protected. If you are moving fine art, contact an expert that specializes in relocating arts and antiques. These professionals are used to moving great artwork from museum to museum, and that they take the venture extraordinarily seriously.
They are enormously skilled at preserving your precious pieces of art. Keeping them safe and making sure they arrive at your new destination, completely unharmed.
- Pool tables require specialty movers to ensure the safety of the pool table.
- Two female friends playing pool at home.
You might imagine that moving a pool table is straightforward. Simply, pick it up and bring it to the truck. Unfortunately, it’s not that easy. A pool table is more complex than you can imagine. It needs to be moved very carefully so that the inner operating mechanisms stay intact. That’s why it’s crucial to hire expert pool table movers. These professionals have special tools that allow them to move the pool table without problems and make certain that it isn’t damaged during transit.
Their job is moving pool tables for a living, so they will have the expert understanding needed to accomplish that properly. They may even have a trick or two up their sleeves to make the move run even more smoothly.
Stairs carry fees
The first two flights of stairs are not charged for, thereafter, you will be charged an average of $50 per flight. If your building has an elevator then you will be charged elevator fees. Not all items will be able to fit inside the elevator, so it’s important to take these additional costs into account.
If your building has an elevator that can be used, you will be charged a one-time fee of around $75. This is an estimated cost, the amount you will be charged will depend on the moving company and how many items need to be transported. Many buildings have strict elevator rules and some only allow moving services to use the elevator during certain hours.
Moving last minute
Although planning your move way in advance is ideal, sometimes life happens and you need to move at the last minute. You may have gotten a new job offer that requires you to relocate, your living situation may have changed suddenly or you may have to deal with a family emergency. Whatever the reason, last-minute movers can be extremely pricey. Don’t fall prey to cheap movers that promise the world but don’t deliver.
It’s important to hire a reputable moving company that won’t take advantage of your desperate situation. In this situation, you may want to hire a broker to assist you with finding a moving company you can trust. Look for referrals, ask for numerous moving quotes, look for reputable review sites. Make sure that you check the moving company’s license and insurance. Ask lots of questions and trust your instincts.
If you require storage while you are busy packing up your home, you may want to consider using moving PODS.
Rent a POD
These are transportable boxes which can be used whilst moving long distances. You may be charged anywhere between $349 – $549 to hire a POD. Long-distance moving will cost on average between $999 – $2,999 depending on which moving package deal you pick.
A trendy POD can accommodate the average furnishings from a two-bedroom residence or up to 1,200sq.ft. PODS can keep your items safe which makes them the perfect place to store your items safely while you pack. You will be in complete control of the move.
Advantages of PODS consist of:
- Complete control of your relocation timeline. This allows you to pack on your own timetable
- Keeps your gadgets safe while you decide what to keep and what to donate
- The moving company will drive the POD to your new home
- Design your move to suit your requirements
Do you have a vehicle that can’t be driven and requires delivery to your new residence? Then you need to contact a professional car relocation carrier. They will come to your door and provide a custom-made quote to move your automobile. This is a door-to-door service that makes moving your vehicle much easier.
- Save money when transporting your car by following our tips. Enjoy your moving!
- Cars on the road
By hiring a moving company, you can reap the following benefits:
- Save on the fee of gasoline, cost of storage, and toll bills
- Save you time and effort
- There will be no extra wear and tear on the vehicle
- No extra mileage added to the vehicle
- Limit the danger of having an accident
The company will carry out a full inspection upon pickup and delivery of your automobile to ensure it wasn’t damaged in transit. All cars are insured by the company’s coverage so if damage happens you may be covered.
Each car carrier is monitored through 24-hour satellite monitoring. Drivers are skilled and exercise secure driving habits.
If anything should go wrong, the driver will notify the company immediately. The company will do everything in its power to ensure that your vehicle arrives safely in one piece. If any damage occurs the company will take full responsibility and pay for any damages.
6 tips How you can reduce moving cost
Moving is expensive and stressful so we have put together a list of tips to help you reduce the cost of moving:
- Find as many free boxes as possible: Big stores often give away boxes. Ask for boxes from friends or family members that have moved recently. Look at online marketplaces to see if anyone is giving away free boxes. Search sites such as craigslist, Freecycle, U-haul Box exchange, or recycling drop-off points.
- Select your date carefully: The date that you move will greatly affect the price. Try to move on a Monday for extra savings. Moving during winter will also give you discounted rates. Avoid moving on the weekends or national holidays.
- Request quotes from multiple companies: Ask for multiple quotes from different companies so that you can compare the costs and find the best option. Request estimates from different moving truck companies.
- Pack yourself: Hiring full-service movers can be very costly, you can save a lot of money by packing your items yourself. It might be more difficult but the savings will keep you smiling. DIY moving costs a lot less.
- Purge: Moving is the perfect excuse to purge. Give away any items that you no longer need, donate them to charity and throw away any broken or unusable items. The less you need to pack the better and the more money you will save.
- Ask friends and family for help: Enlist as much help as you can. Offer your friends free beer and pizza if they help you move. This cost will be far cheaper than hiring professional movers. You could consider hiring a moving truck to cut costs.
10 Tips on how to save money during a move
- Don’t laugh, the piggy bank strategy works even during your long-distance moving!
- Coins being put in a line with a piggy bank
Follow these steps to save money during moving:
- Move during the offseason
- Sell items you no longer want
- Eat all the food in your pantry or host a packing party. Reward your friends by making them dinner. If you use everything you don’t need to pack it, this will save on costs.
- Donate any leftovers to your local food bank
- Start as early as possible so you can plan ahead
- Shop around for packing supplies to get the best deal
- Repurpose things that you already have to pack
- Read reviews and hire the right moving company
- Try to secure a fixed moving rate
- Compare quotes
Frequently asked questions:
How to tip your mover
The general rule of thumb is tipping between $4 to $5 per hour per mover. Another option is to tip between 5% – 10% of the total cost of the move. Divide this amount between the number of movers that helped so they all get an even share. For a half-day move that takes 4 hours or less, you should tip $20 per person.
Is it worth it to hire movers?
- Consider your options, you could hire full-service movers, labor-only movers, renting a container, or professional packers.
- Couple talking about moving plans
Moving is very stressful so you may consider hiring professional movers. But, is the cost really worth it? The first thing you need to do is consider the variables. Are the members of your family physically able to help with the move? Do you have the time to pack boxes yourself? Do you have the budget to hire professionals? Calculate the costs involved, don’t forget to add the cost of packing materials, truck hire, and fuel to get to your destination. Request a few different quotes from reputable companies and compare them to the cost of doing it yourself.
Consider your options, you could hire full-service movers, labor-only movers, renting a container, or professional packers. There is no correct answer, as factors such as time, budget, physical ability, and other factors will influence your decision.
Do movers charge by weight or volume?
Most moving companies won’t charge you by weight or volume exclusively unless there are freight shipping costs involved. Most moving companies will charge for both weight and volume. Moving companies will attempt to assess the amount of time it will take, how much manpower will be needed and how far you are moving. Based on these factors the company will design a quote. The moving company will need to conduct an in-person inspection. There may still be additional charges after the fact so keep that in mind.
How much should I budget for my moving expenses?
There are many factors involved when it comes to creating a budget. On average you can expect to spend $1,000 – $3,000 on a move. For a larger household, you can expect to pay anything from $8,000 – $11,000. Creating a moving budget will help you determine where you can save on expenses.
- Take inventory: Make a list of all your items by going room to room. Look for any specialty items that may cost more, or require specialty movers
- Consider moving insurance costs
- Rent a truck or consider DIY moving
- Think about hiring a POD or storage unit
- Decide when you want to move
- Make sure to keep money aside for emergencies
There are so many things you need to consider when moving. This article will help determine how much it will cost to relocate and how to save money while doing so. Make lists of the tasks that need to be completed before you move. Hire as many professional movers as you can afford and use the tips in this article to save as much money as possible.